Better Lake Street Project
The Lake Street Improvement Project 🚧 is scheduled to begin this week. If you plan to commute to Downtown Oak Park, please consider your route in advance. North-South Marion and Forest detours are open to local traffic.
The Lake Street Improvement Project includes new concrete and asphalt roadway surfaces and replacing and restoring water and sewer mains nearing the end of their useful service lives. Other features include:
- Curb repair
- Enhanced vehicle detection at traffic signals
- New pavement markings and improvements to sidewalks and street crossings to better accommodate citizens with disabilities.
New streetscape is planned for the high-traffic business districts along Lake Street between Harlem and Euclid avenues. Features will include:
- High-quality street furniture
- Enhanced street and pedestrian lighting
- Informational wayfinding signs
- Decorative sidewalk and crosswalk materials
Project goals are to improve traffic circulation and capacity, enhance pedestrian and bicycle linkage between retail districts, replace aging roadway and utilities, promote private investment and economic development, and strengthen Lake Street’s role as the community’s central tourism and retail corridor.
Sign Up for the DTOP Email Listclick here to subscribe